Harvard University, B.A.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Best Lawyers in America, 2014, 2016
Super Lawyers, 2008-2017
On A More Personal Note
Kin has always enjoyed sailing and in his youth served as a cabin boy, mate, cook and captain of a charter schooner sailing in New England, Canada and the Caribbean. He has sailed transatlantic and to Newfoundland and north of the Arctic Circle to Greenland.
Kin lives in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts and enjoys any time he can get with his children and grandchildren, who are rapidly growing in numbers.
With over 42 years of private client experience, Kin has focused much of his recent practice on the administration of trusts and the settlement of estates. He advises fiduciaries on income, estate and generation skipping tax issues, as well as fiduciary issues that arise in trust and estate administration. He serves as co-trustee with family members and financial institutions and as executor or co-executor when called upon to do so. He has represented many multi-generational families.
Kin continues his practice in estate planning, working with clients to achieve their objectives in an efficient and sensible way.
- Kin has enabled families to save millions of dollars in state fiduciary income taxes on the disposition of business assets held in trust.
- Kin has worked with entrepreneurial families to plan and execute trusts holding undervalued business assets so that, over decades, the assets can grow with income tax efficiency and avoid future estate and generation skipping tax liabilities.
- Kin has devised trusts that have enabled families to fund the maintenance of remote family properties after the deaths of the elder generations.
- Kin has been part of a team bringing legal action against trustees who have put their own interests ahead of those of the beneficiaries, recovering millions of dollars for the trust
- Kin has devised strategies that have saved millions of dollars of generation skipping taxes.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Kin is a member of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and serves as a member of its Audit Committee.
- Kin is a member of the Board of Swan Point Cemetery, where he chairs the Personnel and Long Range Planning Committees and serves as a member of the Audit and Investment Committees.
- Kin is a past Rear Commodore of the Cruising Club of America.
- Kin is an active Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estates Counsel, where he serves as a member of the Practice Committee. He is a past Rhode Island State Chair of the college.