New York University, School of Law, J.D.
Brown University, B.A.
Best Lawyers in America, Trusts & Estates,
Super Lawyer for Rhode Island, 2013-2017
New England's Top 50 Women in Law,
Professional & Community Involvement
Advisory Board Member, Hassenfeld Child Health Innovation Institute at Brown University
Anthony Quinn Foundation,
International Board of Advisors
Director, Chairwoman Caribbean Educational and Baseball Foundation
Renee has also dedicated her time and enthusiasm to the following organizations:
- Lifespan Professional Advisory Committee
- Rhode Island Board of Bar Examiners
- Hasbro Children's Hospital Advisory Council
- Board of Trustees for the Wheeler School
in Providence, RI
- Board of Trustees,Trinity Repertory Company
- Board of Trustees, Providence Children's Museum
- Board of Governors, Providence Catholic Diocese
- Professional Advisory Council,
Rhode Island Foundation
- Financial Committee Member,
Women's Sports Foundation founded by Billie Jean King
- International Tennis Hall of Fame,
Board of Directors and Development Committee
On A More Personal Note
Renee enjoys all sports. She is the wife of Edward M. Evangelista and the mother of three boys Alex, Edward and Robert.
RI Foundation Award
Renee and her colleagues formed Howland Evangelista Kohlenberg Burnett LLP in March 2014. Renee's practice involves sophisticated estate planning and estate settlement techniques to save clients gift, estate and income taxes, while ensuring that their property passes according to their wishes. Renee is a trustee of numerous private trusts and has routinely served as executor of client estates and manager of limited liability companies. Renee regularly appears in Superior Court representing trustees and trust beneficiaries on accounting actions and trust reformations.
Prior to launching HEKB, Renee practiced for twenty-two years at Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP, now Locke Lord, where she served as co-managing Partner of the Providence office for eight years and was a member of the firm's Policy Board and Partnership Nominating Committee.
- In December of 2016-2017, Renee and her colleagues successfully arranged for the approval of a five year trust accounting action involving over one hundred and fifty beneficiaries. In similar cases, she managed the successful coordination of a $55 million trust dispute; the successful division of a trust to allow principal distributions to trust beneficiaries; and the successful division of a trust into separate shares for each family line.
- Drawing on Renee's five years of experience as an assistant probate judge for the City of Warwick, Rhode Island, she actively represents clients in a wide variety of probate court matters such as will contests, creditor claim issues and contested guardianship matters.
- Renee routinely drafts and oversees the execution and administration of Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Dynasty Trusts (also known as generation-skipping trusts), special needs trusts, private foundations, limited liability companies, and other such entities when providing estate planning for clients.
- Renee worked on the probate proceedings in the Newport Probate Court for the Estate of Doris Duke, and routinely settles estates for clients and their families.
- Renee utilizes asset protection techniques including the Rhode Island Qualified Disposition Trust Act to protect clients’ assets.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, Chapter for the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Publication,“Estate Planning for Nontraditional Couples and Their Families: Selective Issues,” 2011.
- “Estate Planning and Administration in Ethical Issues in Representing Fiduciaries and Beneficiaries,” and “Traps and Triggers of Fiduciary Liability,” moderator and conference chair, American Heart Association and American Stroke Association’s Second Invitational Conference on Estate Planning and Administration, May, 2011.
- “Year-end financial, tax and estate planning strategies,’ speaker,The University Club, Providence, RI, December 2010.
- “2010 EstateTax Laws and Probate Practice from the Court’s Perspective”, moderator, in conjunction with the American Heart Association Conference on Estate Planning and Administration, May 2010.
- "Womenomics," speaker, Women’s Fund of Rhode Island, Providence, Rhode Island, November 2009, alongside with BBC reporter Katty Kay.
- “Creating Financial Strategies and Family Protection for You and Your Partners,’ speaker, Marriage Equality Rhode Island, January 2009.
- Renee moderated a panel discussion for the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning (PPPRI) on "Impact Philanthropy in Rhode Island".